Freshman Application Requirements
Transcript and Required School Forms
An official transcript (grades 9–12) is required.
- Official transcripts are required for high school, college, university, or online courses not reported on your current high school transcript.
- A midyear transcript is due by February 15.
- A final transcript is due by July 1 if you are admitted and choose to enroll.
- A high school diploma or the equivalent is required in order to enroll at Stanford.
- In the Coalition Application, the Counselor Recommendation includes the School Report, Student Assessment, and a recommendation letter.
- In the Common Application, the forms include the School Report, Counselor Recommendation, and a recommendation letter.
- Note: the School Report is a required form located in the application and submitted by your counselor. The School Report tells us about your academic strengths in the context of the academic programs available in your school.
- Your high school may have a published school profile, but this profile on its own does not fulfill the School Report requirement.
Letters of recommendation from two teachers are required.
- We recommend requesting letters from grade 11 or 12 teachers in English, math, science, foreign language, or history/social studies. You may request a letter from a grade 10 teacher if the coursework was advanced (e.g., Honors, AP, IB). Letters from classroom teachers are strongly preferred.
- You may submit one optional letter if there is another person who knows you well and can provide new insights about you. Please assign this person as your “Other Recommender” in the Common application, and add a “General Recommendation” in the Coalition Application. This is the fastest method for a letter to reach your file.
How to Submit Required Materials
- We request that school personnel use Coalition or Common Application online forms whenever possible to submit documents. This is the fastest method for materials to reach your file.
- If online submission is not possible, school personnel may send materials as an email attachment to email@example.com. Ask your school to include your full legal name, school, and date of birth on all correspondence with the admission office.
- When ordering college transcripts, please use firstname.lastname@example.org as the contact email.
- As a standard practice, we offer a grace period after the application deadline during which teachers and counselors may submit application materials.
- Materials submitted by others may take several weeks to process. If your checklist is not complete by the deadline, simply continue to check your Application Status portal until we have received all items.