Freshman Application Requirements
In response to COVID-19
Our standard requirements are below. In light of challenges related to COVID-19, we have provided some additional context and instructions for submitting school forms. Please see our COVID-19 application updates for details.
Transcript and Required School Forms
An official high school transcript, school report and counselor recommendation, and letters of recommendation from two teachers are required.
For students studying in the United States, or pursuing an American curriculum abroad, an official transcript (grades 9–12) is required.
For students pursuing an international curriculum (e.g., A-Level, national curriculum, or IB Diploma outside the US), academic results and predictions are required if available.
- Official transcripts are required for high school, college, university or online courses not reported on your current high school transcript.
- A midyear transcript is due by February 15.
- A final transcript is due by July 1 if you are admitted and choose to enroll.
- A high school diploma or the equivalent is required in order to enroll at Stanford.
- All official transcripts and results must be sent directly from a school official or testing agency.
School Report and Counselor Recommendation
- These documents must be submitted by your high school college counselor or another school administrator.
- In the Coalition Application, students request a High School Counselor Recommendation. The counselor then submits the School Report, Student Assessment and a recommendation letter.
- In the Common Application, students invite a counselor to complete the School Report and Counselor Recommendation form, which includes a recommendation letter.
- Note: the School Report is a required form located in the application and submitted by your counselor. The School Report tells us about your academic strengths in the context of the academic programs available in your school.
- Your high school may have a published school profile, but this profile on its own does not fulfill the School Report requirement.
Letters of Recommendation
- Letters of recommendation from two teachers are required. We recommend requesting letters from grade 11 or 12 teachers in English, math, science, foreign language, or history/social studies. You may request a letter from a grade 10 teacher if the coursework was advanced (e.g., Honors, AP, IB). Letters from classroom teachers are strongly preferred.
- You may submit one optional letter if there is another person who knows you well and can provide new insights about you. Please assign this person as your “Other Recommender” in the Common application, and add a “General Recommendation” in the Coalition Application. This is the fastest method for a letter to reach your file.
How to Submit Required Materials
- We request that school personnel use Coalition or Common Application online forms whenever possible to submit documents. This is the fastest method for materials to reach your file.
- If online submission is not possible, school personnel may send materials as an email attachment to email@example.com. Ask your school to include your full legal name, school, and date of birth on all correspondence with the admission office.
- When ordering college transcripts, please use firstname.lastname@example.org as the contact email.
- As a standard practice, we offer a grace period after the application deadline during which teachers and counselors may submit application materials.
- Materials submitted by others may take several weeks to process. If your checklist is not complete by the deadline, simply continue to check your Stanford portal until we have received all items.