Instructions & Checklist
Transfer admission is considerably more competitive than freshman admission. In recent years the admit rate for transfer students has ranged from one to four percent. Between twenty and fifty transfer student spaces are typically available each year, depending on our freshman to sophomore retention rate (usually 98%) and the number of admitted freshmen who accept our offer of admission.
Use the Transfer Requirements & Process web pages as guides to preparing your transfer application to Stanford.
The Arts Supplement is optional and may be submitted if you have extraordinary talent in the arts.
- CREATE a Common Application account and select Stanford as one of your colleges.
- ACCESS all forms at commonapp.org. The Transfer Common Application and Stanford Writing Supplement must be submitted online.
- USE your official name on all testing and application documents.
- EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org informing us if you used a different first name, last name or email address on testing documents.
- ADD email@example.com to your email address book or safe senders list.
- ASK your college registrar and instructors to submit their documents online.
- WRITE your Common Application ID number on the first page of any documents you fax or mail and on the Transfer Mailing Labels (PDF).
- SUBMIT your application ahead of deadlines to avoid technical difficulties.
- DO NOT send additional materials such as resumes, research papers, newspaper articles and writing samples. They will not be considered.
- VISIT International Applicants for additional information (if applicable).
Before You Click Submit
- USE the “Print Preview” feature in the Common Application to confirm content.
- PRINT and save copies of your application and all submitted materials.
After You Click Submit
- CONFIRM that you have successfully submitted both your Common Application and Stanford Writing Supplement in the Stanford section of your Common Application account.
Checking Your Application Status
- CHECK your application status regularly once we have confirmed receipt of your application. This may take up to three weeks after you have submitted your materials.
Required Application Components
- The Transfer Common Application
- The Stanford Writing Supplement
- $90 nonrefundable application fee or fee waiver request
- Official Testing (SAT or ACT Plus Writing) sent from the College Board or ACT
- School Report (Final Report)
- Final High School Transcript
- Registrar Report
- Official Transcript(s) from every college/university attended
- Two Academic Evaluations (formerly College Instructor Evaluations)
*PDF documents require the free downloadable Adobe Acrobat Reader software for viewing.
July 22, 2014 3:07 PM