Instructions & Checklist
Use the Freshman Requirements & Process web pages as guides to preparing your application to Stanford.
The Arts Supplement is optional and may be submitted if you have extraordinary talent in the arts.
- CREATE a Common Application account and select Stanford as one of your colleges.
- ACCESS all forms at commonapp.org. The First-Year Common Application and Stanford Writing Supplement must be submitted online.
- USE your official name on all testing and application documents.
- EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org informing us if you used a different first name, last name or email address on testing documents.
- ADD email@example.com to your email address book or safe senders list.
- ASK your counselor and teachers to submit all of their documents online.
- WRITE your Common Application ID number on the first page of any documents you fax or mail and on the Freshman Mailing Labels (PDF)
- SUBMIT your application ahead of deadlines to avoid technical difficulties.
- DO NOT send additional materials such as resumes, research papers, newspaper articles and writing samples. They will not be considered.
- VISIT International Applicants for additional information (if applicable).
Before You Click Submit
- USE the “Print Preview” feature in the Common Application to confirm content.
- PRINT and save copies of your application and all submitted materials.
After You Click Submit
- CONFIRM that you have successfully submitted both your Common Application and Stanford Writing Supplement in the Stanford section of your Common Application account.
Checking Your Application Status
- CHECK your application status regularly once we have confirmed receipt of your application. This may take up to three weeks after you have submitted your materials.
Required Application Components
- The First-Year Common Application
- The Stanford Writing Supplement
- $90 nonrefundable application fee or fee waiver request
- Official Testing (SAT or ACT Plus Writing) sent from the College Board or ACT
- School Report
- Official Transcript(s)
- Two Teacher Evaluations
- Midyear Report
*PDF documents require the free downloadable Adobe Acrobat Reader software for viewing.
July 22, 2014 3:10 PM