Transfer Requirements & Process
Instructions & Checklist
Transfer admission is considerably more competitive than freshman admission. In recent years the admit rate for transfer students has ranged from one to four percent. Between twenty and thirty-five transfer student spaces are typically available each year.
Use the Transfer Application Instructions PDF and the Transfer Requirements & Process web pages as guides to preparing your transfer application to Stanford.
Download and print the Stanford Transfer Application Instructions.Transfer Instructions PDF
The Arts Supplement is optional and may be submitted if you have extraordinary talent in the arts.
- GO TO commonapp.org, create an applicant account and add Stanford University to your "My Colleges" list.
- COMPLETE the Common Application, the Stanford University Questions, and assign your recommenders before submitting your application.
- USE the Transfer Mailing Labels for mailed documents.
- WRITE your Common Application ID number on the first page of mailed or faxed documents.
- USE your official name on all testing and application documents.
- EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org informing us if you used a different first name, last name or email address on testing documents.
- ADD email@example.com to your email address book or safe senders list.
- DOUBLE-CHECK your email address. All Stanford University correspondence will be sent to the email address you enter in the Common Application. Make sure your email address is valid. Email corrections to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DO NOT mail, email or fax additional materials such as research papers, newspaper articles, publications and writing samples. They will not be processed.
- VISIT International Applicants for additional information (if applicable).
- SUBMIT your application ahead of deadlines to avoid technical difficulties.
Submitting Your Application
- SAVE a PDF copy of your application to your computer on the "Preview and Submission" page.
- CONFIRM that you have successfully submitted your Common Application in the "My Colleges" tab.
Checking Your Application Status
- CHECK your application status regularly once we have sent you an email confirming receipt of your Common Application. It may take up to three weeks after the submission deadline to receive this email.
Required Application Components
- Transfer Common Application
- $90 nonrefundable application fee or fee waiver request
(verification from an outside official required)
- Official Testing (SAT or ACT Plus Writing) sent from the College Board or ACT
- Final High School Transcript
- Official Transcript(s) from every college/university from which you earned credit
- College Report
- Two Academic Evaluations
Stanford reserves the right to evaluate an application and render a final decision even if all pieces of the application have not been received.