Freshman Requirements & Process
School Reports & Transcripts
The School Report, Counselor Recommendation and an official high school transcript are required.
- Ask your counselor to submit (preferably online) the Common Application School Report Form including the Counselor Recommendation.
- Ask your counselor to submit (preferably online) your official high school transcript (grades 9–12) with the School Report. If you have coursework from another high school not reported on your current transcript, request to have that transcript sent to Stanford.
- If you have coursework from a college or university, submit requests for those transcripts to be sent to Stanford.
The following reports are also required:
- Common Application Midyear Report
- Common Application Final Report (if admitted)
If your counselor is unable to submit forms electronically, we will accept delivery by mail. Print the completed forms from The Common Application and use the appropriate label from the Freshman Mailing Labels.
School Report and Counselor Recommendation
The School Report and Counselor Recommendation allow your secondary school counselor or other school administrator who knows you well to tell us about you: your energy and enthusiasm for the life of the mind, your impact on your school community and your academic strength in relation to that of your classmates. The information gleaned from this form also sets your academic experience in context for us: how many of your classmates go on to attend a four-year college, what kinds of advanced or accelerated courses (if any) are offered at your school and the size of your class. This information is important to us as we assess your achievements within your school environment first, and then later within our overall applicant pool.
We will focus our evaluation on your coursework and performance in 10th, 11th and 12th grades, primarily in the core academic subjects of English, mathematics, science, foreign language and history/social studies. We want to see that you have challenged yourself by taking accelerated, honors, Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate courses if they are offered at your school.
International students will find further information about the specific documentation we require on the International Applicants page.
Midyear and Final Reports
Ask your counselor to submit the Midyear Report Form and your transcript when your grade 12 first semester or trimester grades are posted. If your school has yearlong courses with no grades until the end of the year, we require some form of midyear evaluation of your academic progress. The Midyear Report must be submitted no later than February 15.
Ask your counselor to submit the Final Report Form and your transcript if you are admitted to Stanford and decide to enroll. You will not be able to begin classes at Stanford until we receive your final high school transcript.Updated on July 31, 2015 12:41 PM