The first year at a major research university can be intimidating. That is why Stanford provides the resources to make sure students have the support to guide them, opportunities to challenge them and the freedom to discover their potential.
Above all else, Stanford is distinguished by its remarkable breadth of resources so students can design a unique intellectual adventure to meet their academic and personal goals. These may include:
- Traveling during junior year to one (or a combination) of our Bing Overseas Studies Programs
- Returning early to campus for intense study or research in the Arts Intensive , Bing Honors College or Sophomore College
- Turning an honors thesis into the founding document for a non-profit organization as a Public Service Scholar through the Haas Center
- Studying in the Bing Wing of Green Library
- Working with a writing consultant at the Hume Center for Writing and Speaking
- Completing a research internship in the world-renowned collections of the Hoover Institution or at the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory
- Serving as a docent at the Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve or at the Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Center for Visual Arts
It is not just the programs and places that make Stanford special—the people also create an extraordinary community. For instance, staff at BEAM , Stanford's career education hub, advise students on their search for summer internships or a full-time job upon graduation.
Professional advisors in Undergraduate Advising and Research help students plan a pre-professional academic program or assist in identifying academic goals. Pre-Major Advisors and residence-based Academic Directors offer guidance on settling into Stanford's academic life, navigating its resources, choosing courses and choosing a major. An upper-class peer advisor is also available to each freshman.
The Stanford community allows for development of independence in a supported environment as a student charts his or her own personal journey in the environment of a liberal arts college.
- Bing Overseas Studies Programs
- Overseas Resource Center
- Service-Learning at the Haas Center
- Stanford Language Center
- Undergraduate Research Programs
- Center for Teaching and Learning
- SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory
- Hoover Institution
- Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Center for Visual Arts